Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing lifters, easiest way

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing lifters, easiest way

Is it possible to replace the lifters, without removing the head?
Looking for the easiest cheapest way possible. I have heard from some you have to remove the head period, and some guys say you can get it done without.

What do you all say? Anybody here done it?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by briansgarage
No.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Well shoot.. I was afraid of that..
How hard is it to do? I have never done anything like that before.
What parts am I going to need to get the job done?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Medium hard. More like moe advanced. It isn't doing a tune up or changing u-joints. You can do it! If you've never.done it before go slow, take pictures on your .phone to make sure you get things back right, buy a chilton or haynes and follow he directions. You have to be careful about lubrication when you put new liters on an older cam. It can be done but you want to make sure out put lots of break in lube on them. If I were you and I was going that far I would change the cam to a little higher performance one too! On parts you need intake gasket valve cover gasket put a new t-stat in, head gasket..... think that's it... don't think I left anything out. It's always q good idea to buy new intake/exhaust bolts.

Last edited by Slick761; 07-27-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

make sure you return each pushrod and rocker to the same position you found them from. the rod tips and the rockers are already seated with each other, so you want them to go back in the same positions to avoid any unsightly noise or wear. also it is fine to change out lifters on an old cam, it is the other way around when you start to get in trouble.

when you get your lifters, since they are hydrolic, you don't need assembly lube, just soak the lifters in NON-SYNTHETIC oil for a few hours before putting them in. then douse your cam in oil before install. when you get the motor all back together, pull the fuel pump relay, and the coil to distributor wire off. then crank it over for 4-5 sec, reinstall the fuse and wire, and start her up.

good luck with your build and take lots of pics!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
make sure you return each pushrod and rocker to the same position you found them from. the rod tips and the rockers are already seated with each other, so you want them to go back in the same positions to avoid any unsightly noise or wear. also it is fine to change out lifters on an old cam, it is the other way around when you start to get in trouble.

when you get your lifters, since they are hydrolic, you don't need assembly lube, just soak the lifters in NON-SYNTHETIC oil for a few hours before putting them in. then douse your cam in oil before install. when you get the motor all back together, pull the fuel pump relay, and the coil to distributor wire off. then crank it over for 4-5 sec, reinstall the fuse and wire, and start her up.

good luck with your build and take lots of pics!
Won't hurt to put assembly lube on the face of the lifters. I understand you said put oil on them, if they and the cam were dry you would likely wipe a lobe. I like a little extra protection. Oil doesn't have anything near the film strength of assembly lube. I consider it extra insurance. It wouldn't be fun to get everything back together and wipe a lobe.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

*grind*... Whoops, think my cam is done for.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

[QUOTE=briansgarage;1112393]Is it possible to replace the lifters, without removing the head?
QUOTE]

Sure you can. Just put the front of the vehicle on a lift to raise it up a few feet, remove the front axle, disconnect the transmission, then remove all of the accessories attached to the engine. Then (with the engine mounted to a cherry picker) unbolt all the head bolts and watch the entire half of the engine drop.

The head will still be in the engine bay so technically you didn't remove it. Just the bottom half of the engine.

Also, make sure you have a new engine on stand by with all new gaskets and a new crankshaft with bearings. When the block drops everying is probably going to be destroyed, to include the floor.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Looking for the easiest cheapest way possible. I have heard from some you have to remove the head period, and some guys say you can get it done without.

What do you all say? Anybody here done it?
With a V8 you can take off just the manifold. The inline 6, if that's what you have, is something entirely different. The head has to come off on the inline 6.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

[quote=CoffeeCommando;1113199]
QUOTE]

Sure you can. Just put the front of the vehicle on a lift to raise it up a few feet, remove the front axle, disconnect the transmission, then remove all of the accessories attached to the engine. Then (with the engine mounted to a cherry picker) unbolt all the head bolts and watch the entire half of the engine drop.

The head will still be in the engine bay so technically you didn't remove it. Just the bottom half of the engine.

Also, make sure you have a new engine on stand by with all new gaskets and a new crankshaft with bearings. When the block drops everying is probably going to be destroyed, to include the floor.
^^ Priceless
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm on duty today and when I get home tomorrow, I have to deal with a stolen debit card. Tomorrow evening I can get you a list of everything you will NEED and the things you will LIKE to have when doing this. It will help you price the project out before starting. I just completed a head swap with lifter change.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Watch out you don't break off any bolts in the head.

Then don't break off the EZ-out in the head trying to get the broken bolt out.

EZ-outs are like Grade 12 in hardness.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

STP in the blue bottle = Poor Mans Assembly Lube!

Ron
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moncheche
I'm on duty today and when I get home tomorrow, I have to deal with a stolen debit card. Tomorrow evening I can get you a list of everything you will NEED and the things you will LIKE to have when doing this. It will help you price the project out before starting. I just completed a head swap with lifter change.

Talk to you tomorrow.
I appreciate your help man,
That goes for all you fine folks on this forum too..
Even the smart a$$es
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

Bahaahaa

Quick Reply: Replacing lifters, easiest way