Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default rough country 4.5" x series review

well today i installed this kit on a customers xj (ntwonline $799)

keep in mind i am a professional and am trying to help out the everyday backyard guy...

pro's: very complete kit included full rear leafs,
-quick discos (not the fanciest but i have them personally and they are far more user friendly then many pricier ones and if you have the jks ones you know not all have brackets to hang them up on, but these do),
- adj. track bar,
-trans drop,
-adj. upper and lower ca's with joints (rebuildable)
-coils,
-nitro shocks,and
-stainless brake hoses f/r (nice touch for a more inexpencive lift)....

con:-track bar was not the greatest thing (i bought the HD one that rough country sells with the bracket for my own xj, expected that with the kit)
-for a driveway "diy" guy they really need better directions even though it is pretty straight forward.
-the powdercoat on the control arms had gotten into the threads for the joints to screw into.i had to use a pipe cleaner style wire brush to clean out the threads (don't try to force past it)
-transfer case drop was cheesy only gave 4 little pucks and bolts and no linkage drop
-would have liked to have gotten a stabilizer included but i bought the rc one for like $30 and its pretty beefy

overall on the kit:

great kit for the money definatly will serve a dd/weekend warrior well,the fit and finish was good, not fantastic, but good. (no torches or welder required) rear springs are a little stiff. (flex could be better but some better shackes might help) drives good one the street not to squishy on anything.all and all i will be putting this kit in again i'm sure. it is worth buying over the cheaper 1/2 kits sold for $300-$500 that don't come with all the parts needed to be right. 7 out of 10 overall... 9 of 10 bang for buck
Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Put my 6" rc long arm on 3 weeks ago. Had the same problem with the powder coat being in the threads of the arms. Took forever to get them in. Lacked directions for some important things an had stupid info on others. Quick question. How did u get the bolt on the axle mount to come out for the sway bar disconnects? Seemed as if mine was welded on. Didn't wanna beat on it to much an bend the bracket.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by neeland
Put my 6" rc long arm on 3 weeks ago. Had the same problem with the powder coat being in the threads of the arms. Took forever to get them in. Lacked directions for some important things an had stupid info on others. Quick question. How did u get the bolt on the axle mount to come out for the sway bar disconnects? Seemed as if mine was welded on. Didn't wanna beat on it to much an bend the bracket.
those bolts iare hit or miss.. my jeep fought tooth and nail ended up cutting the head off drilling out the bolt.. some pound out pretty easy, this jeep they fell out of..common
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neeland
Seemed as if mine was welded on. Didn't wanna beat on it to much an bend the bracket.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong since Its been a while since I touched my old factory sway bars, but I think they are splined and pressed from the factory, and take a lot to come out..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

yea thats what I figured. thanks man
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
Someone will correct me if I am wrong since Its been a while since I touched my old factory sway bars, but I think they are splined and pressed from the factory, and take a lot to come out..
Yes they are pressed in the torx is just trick to decive you into thinking they will come out easily(found this out the hard way) i used a ball joint press to take mine out did it no problem.
I to have the RC 4.5 with the xflex and had the same problem with the threads but i also had an issue with assemblying one of the lower control arms when the machined it they did such a horrible job that it would not thread in the whole way and left to much play on the plus side when i called them they sent me a new one no questions asked and it was on my door step the next day.I also didnt like the instructions they were very spotty on some things but was able to figure everything out with some ease. I personally love my lift and the brackets for the quick disconects
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Year: 1996-1997
Engine: I-6,4.0-246000+miles

i agree instructions suck,could have gave control arm lengths...thumbs up to rc for supporting the military gave me 10 %discount so i got 4.5 x series plus stabizer an shock boots for like 830 shipped..brakelines very nice, i cheated an left the pressed torex bolts in..after my deployment im going with ironrock la an the rc is going on my 96...heres the rc4.5 plus 2 on my 97
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Yea the control arm issue should really be addressed. We had to out one end in a vice an slide a crow bar in the other end an work it 1/4 turn at a time. Maybe ill just leave that bolt in. It's only 2 nuts to get disconnected. So far I've been happy with it. Haven't flexed it cuz I'm waiting on my sye to get put on still. Been working 7 days a week. I'm almost to the point of just paying sumone to put it on cuz I don't have the time but it needs to be done.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Year: 1996-1997
Engine: I-6,4.0-246000+miles

i had trouble with splatter on threads an some threads were jacked up....i just turned it untill it wouldnt move ,,loosen a little then tighted an keep repeating
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM

I don't have any real complaints with mine, other than the front end being a little noisy.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Yea its alil noisy but I'm slowly training myself to ignore all the noises some how lol
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

What jeep that's lifted doesn't have some type of noise or rattle
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

what jeep doesn't rattle to start with?
The following users liked this post:
BronzeBandit (01-08-2020)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM

I'm assuming it's the adjustable arms. Because my jeep stock never made all the noise, neither does my buddies with fixed arms.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Yea its just the new lift jitters lol. I'm waiting for something to fall off that I screwed up. I had gotten past it till I put my 35s on this week an now I'm back to listening to every noise. Trying to get used to that much tire isn't as nerve racking as getting used to 6" of lift tho lol. I still have a few things to get on like my steering stabilizer an sye then ill probably relax some.

Quick Reply: rough country 4.5" x series review