Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heim joints for steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Heim joints for steering?

So I'm gana build my own steering setup and have heard of some people running heim joints instead of ball joints. Anyone else doing this? Benefits? Downfalls? I have a little car to drive around so my jeep isn't really a DD, although I do like to drive it around town from time to time. Lemme know

Thanks,
Zach
Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

get the heim's from Rough Stuff, Dan has some of the best quality around, they are good for 1-ton steering set ups. just remember to order an extra LH and RH threaded heim and carry it as a spare incase one breaks they cannot be picked up at just any store a know?

also 3/8" will work with out having to drill out the knuckles, 1/2" is stronger but requires drilling out the knuckles
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96_xj
get the heim's from Rough Stuff, Dan has some of the best quality around, they are good for 1-ton steering set ups. just remember to order an extra LH and RH threaded heim and carry it as a spare incase one breaks they cannot be picked up at just any store a know?

also 3/8" will work with out having to drill out the knuckles, 1/2" is stronger but requires drilling out the knuckles
Right. I would definatly at least go 1/2
Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Member

But I'm more worried about durability and how long they'll last and strength vs ball joints
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

x2 on dan, his stuff is top notch, anytime iv had a problem he made it right real quick and is a great all around guy.

as for the steering, youll have to drill the taper out of your knuckles, youll end up taking your steering stabilizer off, i didnt notice a difference with or without it anyways, and if you do an otk style set up say goodbye to your sway bars, those just add weight you dont need em lol.

and dont do like i did, i used 1.25 inch .120 wall dom and after about 4 trips its already bent. it may seem like over kill but if your going to actually wheel it good then get some .250 wall tube and have it threaded for a 3/4 heim
(i just came off a rock and the rock hit my tie rod thus killing it)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
x2 on dan, his stuff is top notch, anytime iv had a problem he made it right real quick and is a great all around guy.

as for the steering, youll have to drill the taper out of your knuckles, youll end up taking your steering stabilizer off, i didnt notice a difference with or without it anyways, and if you do an otk style set up say goodbye to your sway bars, those just add weight you dont need em lol.

and dont do like i did, i used 1.25 inch .120 wall dom and after about 4 trips its already bent. it may seem like over kill but if your going to actually wheel it good then get some .250 wall tube and have it threaded for a 3/4 heim
(i just came off a rock and the rock hit my tie rod thus killing it)
Yeah .250 wall for sure, going to be OTK and I have no sway bars anyway
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by 96_xj
just remember to order an extra LH and RH threaded heim and carry it as a spare incase one breaks they cannot be picked up at just any store a know?
x2 on that

and to clear something up people run heims instead of tie rod ends (TRE's) not balljoints. every jeep has balljoints, they keep the knuckle on the axle
Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by rweaver138

x2 on that

and to clear something up people run heims instead of tie rod ends (TRE's) not balljoints. every jeep has balljoints, they keep the knuckle on the axle
Haha I just realized I did that. And thanks haha
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I run 3/4" heims from Dan and they work great. My tie rod and drag link are 1.5" .25 wall DOM so bending isn't much of an issue. Check your local laws because they aren't legal in some places for on road use.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xjmarc
I run 3/4" heims from Dan and they work great. My tie rod and drag link are 1.5" .25 wall DOM so bending isn't much of an issue. Check your local laws because they aren't legal in some places for on road use.
I'm not too worried about that hah. I guess I'm just a little confused as to how the tie rod and draglink connect to the same point on the knuckle. Is there a special bolt I need for that? I haven't seen anyones setup up close or any close up pictures online
Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

just be aware of the fact that heim joints are not DOT approved... therefor, TECHNICALLY, theyre not street legal. I personally could give 2 $hits becuase here in Ga., as long as it has a tag and headlights, its pretty much legal!

But I know that in certain places, they can be pretty strict with inspections and whatnot. So just know this before you make your decesion
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by clacker
just be aware of the fact that heim joints are not DOT approved... therefor, TECHNICALLY, theyre not street legal. I personally could give 2 $hits becuase here in Ga., as long as it has a tag and headlights, its pretty much legal!

But I know that in certain places, they can be pretty strict with inspections and whatnot. So just know this before you make your decesion
theres absolutely no inspections whatsoever here.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by rweaver138
x2 on that

a steering TRE is a type of balljoint...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by N20jeep
a steering TRE is a type of balljoint...
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

You have a couple of options on mounting. Some use misalignment spacers and a long bolt on the passenger side and have both the drag link and tie rod attach there. If you use the spacers it uses a smaller bolt so be aware a 3/4 heim with spacers uses a 5/8 bolt. This can cause clearance with some wheels so measure and see if you can mount them roughly 4.5" above the knuckle. You can mount the drag link on top and the tie rod below. Or do what I did and weld a mount onto the tie rod and mount the drag link there, this options gets rid of some of the play you have with the others. Plan on relocating the track bar with the OTK setups if you drive it on the street. I still haven't and don't have bump steer but it sees very little pavement.

Quick Reply: Heim joints for steering?