Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starter bolts stripped

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default starter bolts stripped

so i have managed to round bolt torx's bolts on the starter and now cant get them out what can i try? i tried a 10mm 12point ad 3/8 a 9mm hammered on there a ez out all did nothing but round the bolt father now im stuck with no work jeep. can i grind the heads off the bolts and then slide the starter down or is no gonna work.im am really stuck on what to do. i also soaked them with bp blaster for a day before starting work on this.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Extraction Sockets

Extraction Sockets, Made by God, Sold by Sears
These have a reverse helix with sharp biting edges in a socket set up. Each one in the set does a range of fasteners. Whole set at Sears was $40 cdn. These work like a mirical. Took my whole Jeep apart the 1st time round. Most of the heads rusted to round knubs from 3 yrs hard labour in a stone quarry. The Mastercraft's work. Friend bought same type thing from Irvin, I killed two right away and no bolts out, back to the mastercraft and grit locked rusted bolts right out. I have all the easy outs even the snap on set, always go with the extraction sockets 1st choice.
Snap On has same, over $200 for slightly larger set, Matco has a set also for about $175, go with Sears. Alternate, 2nd choice, put a hex nut on the head and weld in the center of the nut, this gives you a hex to drive and the high heat will help break your bolt free. Good luck. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2/318 MSD Electronic Upgrades

Originally Posted by peep
Extraction Sockets, Made by God, Sold by Sears
These have a reverse helix with sharp biting edges in a socket set up. Each one in the set does a range of fasteners. Whole set at Sears was $40 cdn. These work like a mirical. Took my whole Jeep apart the 1st time round. Most of the heads rusted to round knubs from 3 yrs hard labour in a stone quarry. The Mastercraft's work. Friend bought same type thing from Irvin, I killed two right away and no bolts out, back to the mastercraft and grit locked rusted bolts right out. I have all the easy outs even the snap on set, always go with the extraction sockets 1st choice.
Snap On has same, over $200 for slightly larger set, Matco has a set also for about $175, go with Sears. Alternate, 2nd choice, put a hex nut on the head and weld in the center of the nut, this gives you a hex to drive and the high heat will help break your bolt free. Good luck. Merry Christmas.
This! These are amazing tools. I have both sets as well. I can't tell you HOW many times they have helped me and others out.

This is what they look like...

Outer case. (older ones, case may have changed)

The items from God!

The largest of this set.

Showing the inside.

I like the fact you can either put a socket on them or a open end wrench. (Depending on the room you have.) Plus they are hollow should there be a long bolt in the way.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Great pictures, that's the right stuff. Like I tell people, they are made by God, and work like a miracle. Hope bearcrawlernoah checks back, and others, so many people don't know how well these work. Merry Christmas to your Overeasy!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

PS to the overeasy, nice album, looks like a great group of friends to wheel with.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2/318 MSD Electronic Upgrades

Originally Posted by peep
PS to the overeasy, nice album, looks like a great group of friends to wheel with.
Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Yeah, Anytime I see where people need a bolt or a nut taken off thats been stripped all to LLEH I tell themabout these! They have really saved my butt several times!

Thanks! I am fortunate to have a group of great friends who share the same interests as me! I'll be adding another album tonight as I am home alone with nothing else to do tonight. LOL!

Hope these pics help you out OP and others! Well worth EVERY penny spent!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are the same as my irvwin ez outs. no luck with those? i can get a welder to my house to tack a bolt onto either. i really dont want a shop visit but this is my DD im losing my mind with this damn thing