Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to do a tuneup?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default How to do a tuneup?

Hi guys. Finally got my overheating issue dealt with. So far ive had the battery replaced...twice. new start. New battery cable ends. About 6 gallons of antifreeze. A new thermostat to replace the one that...wasnt there before. >.< And a radiator flush. The temp now stays at around 200 on the gauge. My next step is going to be a general tuneup. What parts do i need? Id prefer to buy them online for the best deals if you guys can give me a list and some links to cheapest resources you have found?

Ive got an nss. got it on e-bay shockingly. Looks like itll do the trick. Gonna have a mechanic do that one though. I couldnt get the old one off. I just have manage to manipulate the old nss into letting me start sometimes. I need to get a muffler as well. I want to replace the whole exhaust system. Its rusty its got holes in it. Its loud and i dont want to get pulled over... Any recommendations and or links on that? Its a 92 cherokee laredo 4.0L with the straight 6. Auto and 2wd. Please stop laughing...!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

you will find everything you need at Autozone.

Plugs and wires
cap and rotor
Old 08-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Any specific plugs recommended? Do you have pics or diagrams of where the parts go? Im still new to all of this but im sick of paying hundreds of dollars to jackass mechanics in my pissant town.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

ok then
welcome to the forum
not bein a dick or anything
but the search tab is your friend and go get your self a chilton or haynes manual
i know books are soo old skool but they give you tons of info, hell they teach you how to rebuild everything
good luck
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Year: 1999
Default Jeep Service Manuals

Check this site out. I have found a lot of useful info about all my jeeps here. AND IT FREE

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se...uals/index.htm
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

plugs wires cap and rotor are pretty self explanatory, but you can ask the guy at autozone and he will point them all out for you. other then that it should take you no more then an hour to change them all, they are all easy to get to you just need a few tools:

socket wrench
8" extension
spark plug socket
Philips screwdriver

the rest is a cake walk
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Crimmy
Any specific plugs recommended? Do you have pics or diagrams of where the parts go? Im still new to all of this but im sick of paying hundreds of dollars to jackass mechanics in my pissant town.

Cheap Champions or NGKs work great. You don't need Bosch Platniums, or any kind of platniums, so don't let the guy talk you into it. Giving your Jeep a tuneup isn't hard, and it's pretty fun to do if you like using tools.

Don't forget to change the air filter while you are in there!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

One tip I have for you: While you are repleaceing your plugs and wires only pull and repleace one plug and wire at a time. If you yank all the wires off at once and then try to put new ones on you are going to have a heck of a time figuring out which one goes where.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by scott357
One tip I have for you: While you are replacing your plugs and wires only pull and replace one plug and wire at a time. If you yank all the wires off at once and then try to put new ones on you are going to have a heck of a time figuring out which one goes where.
HA HA...i did this the first time i changed plugs. had a hell of a time figuring it out, just in case you do, there is a picture on how the firing order goes is in one of those repair manual at autozone
Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L i6

Ahah I know right, the first time I did the plugs/wires, I removed everything and then put eh wires in lenght order and put everything back nice and in order trying to make it so the the wires were not crossing each other... I like order I can;t help...
Well no need to say that it didn;t work out very good for me lol... I havelearned now to love the organized disorder of my engine lol

As for tune up I know people suggest the fuel filter as well
and it probably doesn;t hurt to check your CCV system and other

Good advice, get the haynes or chilton and follow instruction on the first chapter.... will be super easy
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. So to recap. Plugs, wires,cap, rotor, air filter. Anything else that would be a quick and easy replacement? There is no autozone here . But i can at the very least order them online from autozone or pick them up from o'reilly's auto parts while im at work.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Crimmy
Thanks for all the comments guys. So to recap. Plugs, wires,cap, rotor, air filter. Anything else that would be a quick and easy replacement? There is no autozone here . But i can at the very least order them online from autozone or pick them up from o'reilly's auto parts while im at work.
o'reilys is fine
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Originally Posted by jeep_lover
Check this site out. I have found a lot of useful info about all my jeeps here. AND IT FREE

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se...uals/index.htm

amazing link!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

www.quadratec.com had a complete tun up kit for a decent price.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

well when i did a complete tune up i changed all the fluids (unless recently done) and i lubed my suspension!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to do a tuneup?