Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help on removing heater core

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help on removing heater core

Okay, So I have the plastic portion of the dash all apart. I know the heater core is bad, however the owner does not want to take it to a dealership.

My question is, how do you get the heater core out with out taking off the metal portion of the dash? The one that the stereo and everything else screws into, and if you do, I need step by step instructions on this please. The owner can not afford to get this fixed, but it's so cold that you can't do with out the heater do to frost on the windshield in the morning. Please help. I do appreciate any and all help.

The jeep is a 2002 Cherokee Laredo please help.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Here's a copy of what a guy over on Jeep forum did to replace his.. Hope it helps..

"I just did this to a 99 and I can say FOR SURE that the manual makes you go through steps that are just not necessary. You dont need to remove the gauge cluster from the dash, nor the end caps or the accesory panel under the radio. What I did was remove the column (4 bolts), remove the seats and center console and the top cap of the dash and also the glove box assembly. There are 2 large wiring harnesses under the dash where the column is located (one on either side of the column), remove the bolts that hold them together and seperate them. On the passenger side there are a couple of wiring harnesses that have to be removed as well. Also, dont forget to unplug the vacuum harness located under the glove box, left hand side.
There are 5 or 6 bolts along the edge of the dash where it meets the windshield that have to come off and 2 large bolts under the kicker panels that should be threaded almost out but not quite (these will stay in to help line up the dash on reassembly. When you do the reassembly simply set the dash on the 2 bolts and pivot the dash in until you can start one of the bolts near the windshield. the biggest things to be aware of is the foam seals where the dash meets the air handler. I dont have pics but the job is WAY easier tahn the manual would dictate. I could do it now in less than 3 hours although I never want to do it again. But dont be scared of the job because the dash comes out in one big piece and is quite easy to do...cheers"

I just pulled mine last weekend and his tip to remove the whole column helped alot. To remove itfollow the manual's guide: remove covers, knee guard, unplug all connecters from column(some can be a pain with the connector assurance clips), four bolts from the column support and one from the coupler( 13mm and it has threadlock on it so it will be tough). Pull entire column with wheel out.
Unbolt and separate 2 or 3 wire harness plugs under driver side dash (10 mm and they are tough to pull apart, carefull wiggling here).
If you have a/c, it will have to be discharged and the lines separated in the engine compartment. Use a/c line separater tools, Autozone has them 3/4 and 5/8 inch IIRC. New o-rings, Autozone has packs with different sizes. Oil before installing them.
Remove seats and console. It may help to loosen e-brake cable under neath to ease console removal.
The large wire harness under the a/c heat unit is held to firewall with 2 plastic pins , pry behind them and pull loose. This will give you more room when you put the unit back in.
Match the heater core EXACTLY. I bought one from Auto Zone and the tube bends were off enough not to allow them to fit in the track in the housing (bending them was out of the question). Also the the soldering on this core looked like crap. I re installed mine, it was in excellent shape( had to fix a blend door problem , hence need for removal).No one in my area had one in stock either.
I would recomend Napa or some other distributor for the core .

To save a headache, lightly grease the temp. blend door hinge, and push the lever for the door forward ( toward the direction of the firewall when you put the 2 halfs together. It seems to stick if it is assembled when the door is pull back prior to reassembly.Make sure it operates smoothly once assembled and before the unit is installed (ask me why I say test first ).

Also do a search for evaporator removal. There is a step by step removal procedure. Just follow the above tips.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

If it's not leaking try replacing the thermostat. That worked for my brothers last year when it screwed up..
Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DIYguy08
The jeep is a 2002 Cherokee Laredo please help.
Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
Here's a copy of what a guy over on Jeep forum did to replace his.. Hope it helps..

I don't think this is gonna work... A 2002 Cherokee would be known as a Libby here in the states.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Default This is where I am at thus far

This is where I am stuck please help

I know this sounds dumb, but pictures help a lot.
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by whowey
I don't think this is gonna work... A 2002 Cherokee would be known as a Libby here in the states.
or a grand cherokee that he's just calling a cherokee
Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by whowey
OK I was thinking miss print.. I'll see what I can find..
Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

See if this helps....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3287208/Je...F-Secc-24-HVAC
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Well I for sure can't help as I have never worked on anything that new. Give me the old junk I can understand.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Default 01 jeep cherokee sport heater core help please

I know this is an older thread but i need some serious help on r&r of the heater core in my 01 jeep cherokee sport.. what i need is some one who can walk me through the steps thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The search function on this site in invaluable, as well try the factory service manual. It is by no means difficult, just time consuming.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

Would all data help you? I can pm you the whole procedure if you'd like
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Mossy that would be fabulous if you could pm me with any info im dreading doing this but there is so much contradicting info i just need to know what needs to be done thank you for your help
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Mossy if the offer of all data you made to cherokeemomma is still a valid offer, i would like to receive the instructions as well. My Jeep is a 1997 Grand Cherokee in line 6.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:24 PM

I hope someone can still help with this.

I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic that I pulled apart to do this work.
Then I put the dash back in and buttoned everything back together. Key in place, motor turns but won't start.
What gives?
Did I forget to connect something?
Both main harnesses driver side kick panel are connected.
Module driver side above throttle is connected.

What other connections electrical could I have forgotten that would prevent the engine from turning over?

Quick Reply: Please help on removing heater core