Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

sagging leaf sprin fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack
Default sagging leaf sprin fix

MY wife's 01 XJ has sagging leaf springs. I estimated a new set of heavy duty springs with hardware installed would be $300.00. I decided to try to fix the problem without removing the springs at a lower cost. I purchased 2 sets of 20" helper springs from J.C. Whitnet(part # BCE875964) at a cost of $36.99 per set. I cut off about 4' off the rear of two the springs and welded a long and a short to make 1 set(2 welded helpers). the set comes with a pivot pin,which becomes too short. Ireplaced it with a 5/16 SS bolt. The total cost was around $74.00 as I got free shipping. I usually would not post this info but I went to the grocery store after completing this and was real impressed with the ride. It was well worth the expense considering a lift or new springs were not options being considered.
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like a short term fix to a long term problem. You also could have used an add-a-leaf for about the same price and not lost ground clearance like you do with spring helpers
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Add-a-leaf is just as easy... jack up the frame, undo the 4 u-bolts (or cut them), stick it in the leaf pack, re-bolt...

nifty idea, but theres probably a reason you don't see more of it.
Did it raise it at all?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

not really. I threw this out as one course os action people can take. the is only so much my wife is going to let me do with her jeep. it could be a cheap long term fix. it's all how you want to look at it. there may be people out there who want to add a leaf. fine, I have no problem with that. I like seeing what others have done and then making my own decision. I have been amazed though at some of the comments on the different jeep forums when someone posts. thats why I don't post often. I do what suits me. I don't need criticism for the way I choose to do something. Sometimes it easier to keep your ideas to yourself.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

I am all for thinking outside the box! i do it often....lol

The problem that i see with the set up is that the stock jeep leafs tend to "bend" right near the rear eye as the 2nd leaf is not long enough. You have now stuck the additional weight right on that "bend" meaning in no time your main leaf is going to be bent more and may possibly break even....

The reason people opt for the add a leaf is because it helps to actually support the pack. It may not last very long as its the nature of the beast.

You best best is to take $10 with you to the salvage yard grab an extra set of your main leaf and secondary leaf and cut the eyes off the main and cut about 2" off each end of the secondary leaf and stick them in your leaf pack.

You then have a 6 leaf pack which will support your load very nice while giving you the same stock ride and you are not sticking one thick leaf but rather 2 more thin leafs. and using the full main leaf with the eyes cut off supports the entire pack along the whole leaf. and adding in the extra secondary leaf will help as well with your load carrying.

I did it that way, got a new set of way used leaf packs for $10 at the salvage yard. Best thing i ever did(way back when)
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

anything that works. I am trying to decide what to do about the sag in my 4.5inch lift. Have not decided what to do.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM

I think you're confusing feedback with criticism.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Gravy
seems like a short term fix to a long term problem. You also could have used an add-a-leaf for about the same price and not lost ground clearance like you do with spring helpers
Im gonna have to agree with you. its kinds a half ....... solution to a long term proplem. A Quick fix will never last
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Year: 1998

would have gave you my old ones I just scraped them srry
Old 07-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

sagging leaf springs give added flex which would be a bonus.. you might have tried taller shackles (which would have leveled it).. also, I have had a lot of buddies who have done add-a-leafs or the like, end up with squeaking coming from the leaf pack

I really like the ingenuity.. I actually admire the resourcefulness and the ambition.. in my eyes, you are on your way to becoming a master fabricator so keep it up!

But, if the squeaks do eventually come, look there first. Look into the shackle idea and consider a stronger rear sway-bar for the rear.. the torsion/twisting of the center of the sway-bar will better control body-roll that is brought on by soft leaf-packs. Maybe weld thin 1x1 channel iron onto the center on the cross-member of the rear sway-bar for added rigidity. Make sure that it is exactly in the middle for consistency while driving on the road and taking turns at higher speeds. If it isnt even, you would experience more body roll when turning one way, and the added potential for fishtailing when turning the other. I dont know if aftermarket "sport" style swaybars are available, like for road racing little cars, but look that up and read for fun.

Also, anticipate odd tire wear with your setup (or any other rear/potentially uneven suspension mod) and monitor.. initially, rotate frequently for best results.

just my initial thoughts..

good luck!