Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

door hinge repair ( 2 door)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default door hinge repair ( 2 door)

today i decided to fix my broken hinges, it seems to happen a lot to two door cherokees. first i disconnected the power door locks/windows from the circuit board under the dash. then i unbolted the door and looked at the hinges,the hinges had been pulled away from the unibody,and the hinges we bent to crap, so i took a sledge hammer and bent the hinges back to stock location. after that i disconnected the pcm ( power control module) aka computer, the welder will fry the pcm. next i rewelded the hing and added two pices of thick metal washers to mount the hinges firmly to the unibody. this will hopefully keep the hinges from breaking again. then i went a little crazy with the cookie grinder to smooth things out. a fresh coat of paint the simply bolting everything back together. it worked beautifully! and it looks good aswell! here are some pics of what i did

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...first-coat.jpg
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...cound-coat.jpg

Last edited by 93,2door,xj; 05-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0

Can you take some that are zoomed out, so you can see at least the edge of the interior of the door opening and such? Mine are weak, you can see the unibody flex when i open them to full open.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM

i am not sure if these pics will help but if you want to do the same thing i did i can talk you through it. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...d-out-view.jpg
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Looks pretty sturdy. My door pretty much fell off the other day. I opened it and it made bad, bad noises. I took a look and the only thing keeping it together was one small tack weld. So I went to my buddy's house and we goobered on some more welds to hold it till I can take the door off and replace the hinge. The PO "fixed" it by just goobering on a whole bunch of welds with an arch welder. My hinge needs to be replaced and I think I may do something similar to what you did with the washer to keep it rigid. Good job
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 PM

thanks! when i did mine the top hinge was almost torn off leaving a big hole in the unibody,so i had to do somthing to keep it from happening again. my door check was bad and the wind took the door.( this was before i bought it)