Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smoking???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Smoking???

Ya I know my Jeep has 186,000 miles on it, and that the rings or valve seals or leaking but how many people out there has a jeep that smokes out the exhaust. Its disappointing to me cause i'm putting so much into it.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

That's a nasty habit. You should quit it.

I'm not really sure what it could be but you could try seafoam-ing it. That'll probably smoke it 10x worse for the moment but it'll clean it up real good.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Forget about it and enjoy your Jeep as it is rapidly dieing!!! J/K LOL.
If you want to see if the rings are bad or if it is a bad set of valve seals then do a compression check. Low numbers on two or more cylinders means bad rings. Good numbers and a less than 10% difference from high to low then you have bad seals.
Been doing it that way for 50 years and am right about 90% of the time.
Smoking is bad for Jeeps and other higher lifeforms.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had a similiar problem with the Black waggie when I first bought it.

So let me ask a few questions and see if this helps. Cause mine was a hard-simple fix.

Does it smoke black when you are at an Idle or only when you are moving the reason I ask is my wives was smoking like crazy when we first bought it and I just new the engine was shot. Turned out to be Oil dripping on a hot exhaust. Looked like it was coming out of the tail pipe but it wasn't. Turned out to be a Rear Main Seal was blown. Unless you know for sure the rings are worn I would take a look and see if there is anything dripping on the exhaust. If it is leaking from there it is more than likely just a rear main seal or the other ones... oilf filter adapter and rear valve cover also appear to leak at rear main.

HTH
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

all good advice, i've had good luck with lucas on some of my older jeeps. not smoking, but reconditioned a 1990 xj w/ 160k that was using 1 qt a month. used lucas at every oil change and putting 1 qt of oil in a month. after a year less than a qt between oil changes, and then i didn't even use a whole bottle of lucas a year and still less than a qt consumption between changes. i used half a bottle every 12k after it stopped using oil.

i am not a licensed lucas representative, i was not paid for this endorsement
Old 08-28-2008, 05:49 PM

If im at idle it smokes from the exhaust. While Im driving, i dont know. I could never tell color of smoke for some reason but it smells like oil. So what blue was saying I may give it a try. I just didnt really understand how you could tell if it was the seals or and rings that are leaking. I always thought if you did a compression test and had say one cylinder 15 psi lower and you put oil in the cylinder and cranked it and the pressure went up then that means it was the rings or if it stayed the same then its the seals. I want to prolong and keep this engine as long as possible.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have always been told what you just said check compression in one cylinder if it's low then add oil if it raises then it's rings..That's how my dad taught me to do it...I have also been told what blue said... So run the compression test if it pans out all good then run some seafoam and imidiatley change your O2 sensor or remove it before running the seafoam or if you have an old one put it in to run the seafoam.. if it was jsut when you first start up and a whitish clear smoke then I'd say condensation in the exhaust system...Also look at the plugs they can often tell whether it's rings or not..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Year: 98

How many miles can you go before you have to add a quart of oil? If not's smoking real bad or using much oil I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
I have always been told what you just said check compression in one cylinder if it's low then add oil if it raises then it's rings..That's how my dad taught me to do it...I have also been told what blue said... So run the compression test if it pans out all good then run some seafoam and imidiatley change your O2 sensor or remove it before running the seafoam or if you have an old one put it in to run the seafoam.. if it was jsut when you first start up and a whitish clear smoke then I'd say condensation in the exhaust system...Also look at the plugs they can often tell whether it's rings or not..
Seafoam? The injector cleaner? Just put it in the gas tank? What does the seafoam do? No the smoke is constant. It happens all the time. I have to check to see how much oil it burns. I added 3 quarts yesterday.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by jeepride
How many miles can you go before you have to add a quart of oil? If not's smoking real bad or using much oil I wouldn't worry to much about it.
If you do the 3000 mile oil change thing then less that a qt. low at oil change is prolly OK but over a Qt at oil change time it is time to worry a little.

BTW you can raise compression on a brand new engine with a squirt of oil before the check, so that invalidates the compression test IMO. Oil will help seal any cylinder wall, even badly scored ones.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it happens at start up and at idle, it's prolly just the valve seals, and I think you can fix those without removing the head. You can get a fitting that screws into your spark plug hole that you put an airhose on and pressurize the cylinder and you can remove the spring retainer and what not, and replace them. If I'm wrong please feel free to drag me out back and shoot me!!LOL!! Later!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Renix Super Guru

Do you have one of those fittings? I made one from a sparkplug and an air hose quick connect b/c I never saw one for sale anywhere. Here I was feeling like an inventor and go go a burst my bubble.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly what I've seen!! I've never seen one "for sale", maybe that's our million dollar idea Blue!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
If it happens at start up and at idle, it's prolly just the valve seals, and I think you can fix those without removing the head. You can get a fitting that screws into your spark plug hole that you put an airhose on and pressurize the cylinder and you can remove the spring retainer and what not, and replace them. If I'm wrong please feel free to drag me out back and shoot me!!LOL!! Later!!
I only notice the smoke at idle and start up. I do have the fitting. It came with my compression tester kit.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers
I do have the fitting. It came with my compression tester kit.
THere goes my and your million bucks COS!!!
Guess we are going to have to work for that million.

Quick Reply: Smoking???