Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Dash lights on '96 Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No Dash lights on '96 Jeep

I just purchased a used '96 Jeep cherokee. The light switch was broken, **** would come out when pulled. I replaced the light switch. All lights work except for the dash lights, shift indicator. I replaced a blown fuse but still not luck. I wonder if the headlight switch I replaced could be bad right out of th box. Anybody have this issue and what solved it... Trying to get this resolved before school starts... Thanks for any help....

DOC
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

If the fuse isn't blown and you have a new switch and it's hooked up right then I'd say look at bulbs and possible grounding issues.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Empire Offroad

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

I agree...chances are the bulbs behind the cluster and shifter bezels are burnt out.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC, the dash lights are a multi point fuse. Meaning that it is not the only thing on that circuit. There could be something else not working as well, this would be a fuse, which is where I'd be leaning. Did you check them all? Have you checked all of your other electric doo dads, to see if they still work?? HTH!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs down

I have cjecked the fuses. all are ok. I just went and installed another new switch with no luck. I find it hard to believe every bulb is burnt out, but I guess you never know.... I cannot even get the platic around the gauges off. All 4 screws have been removed, but doesn't seem to be enough room to pull it off....If any one has any other ideas, I am open to them.

DOC
Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Isnt there a headlight relay in the power distribution block?

DOC, under the hood you'll see a square black box, about 6" long. Remove the top and read the cover. You might find a relay for the headlights. Once located grab another (like the AC relay) IF it has the same numbers in white on it. Swap the two and try the lights.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Overland I think he has headlights just no dash lights. The more I look into this I think it has to be bulbs. Headlight work and the reostat for the dimmer must have power to it if the headlights do so the switch is good but the dash and console lights are out. Bulbs are the only thing that comes to mind.

DOC when you rotate the switch handle the lights are on a dimmer and when rotated the lights can go from off to bright then a little further and click the overhead lights come on. Do you have the overhead lights?

Last edited by BlueXJ; 08-27-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Overland I think he has headlights just no dash lights. The more I look into this I think it has to be bulbs. Headlight work and the reostat for the dimmer must have power to it if the headlights do so the switch is good but the dash and console lights are out. Bulbs are the only thing that comes to mind.

DOC when you rotate the switch handle the lights are on a dimmer and when rotated the lights can go from off to bright then a little further and click the overhead lights come on. Do you have the overhead lights?

Ahhh.. i forgot that tidbit.

Ya know, i didnt want to mention the "obvious".. could it be that easy? Lets hope it is and he can laugh it off... till we remind him of it.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM

I have the same issue.checked fuses-took dash apart bulbs are good found owners manual there is a set of relays behind lower section of the instrument panel wright under the steering wheel that's the only ones I ain't checked out I hope this helps
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM

having the same issue.. but I know I hit some wiring installing my air horns on the bottom of the vehicle since then I lost my dash lights everything else works.. anyone aware of wires running under the carpet around the driver seat to cause the dash lights to go out? getting ready to rip the carpet out nd see what I hit