Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Core for 1998 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Core for 1998 Cherokee

I am trying to replace the heaater core in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I have had several problems in following instrucitons receive, as nothing seem to match what I have. I have had to remove the entire dash, not just the "lower instrument panel". The illustrations and pictures of the housing for the core does not match what I have. Mine seems much more complicated. Is there somewhere where I can get an accurate description of what I need to do? Chilton and Haynes are no help, and what I got from the internet is also different. I don't usually have this kind of problem. This one has me baffled. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I have the dash and the console out already.
Thanks
Bernie
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I was told the Lower half of the dash was all that needed to be removed......Im a bit confused what your asking....you already have everything out...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

what i did was take off the lower dash, take off the nuts the hold the steering column from the dash and let rest on the seat, take the radio, hvac controls, and the center consol out. then take off the glove box door and the thing that runs along the windsheild. take both kick panels outand unbolt the dash. in the engine bay take the hoses off and disconnect the ac lines(after evacuating refrigerant) take out the nuts for the heater box. then move the dash just enough to get the box out. this way you dont have to disconnect every thing reverse all this to put it back together
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Year: 1999
Default Question

I have the dash off as you see in the pictures. How do I get the air handler which contains the heater core out?
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Year: 00'
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.

I'm bumping this because I am stuck here as well. Which engine side nuts or bolts are holding this thing and the blower motor? There is one bolt with a nut on it directly behind the cylinder head but Ive turned it 75 times and its just turning in place.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.6L Stroked

That is one of the nuts that needs to come off. You may need to have some gently pull on the box while you unscrew it. It may be spinning in the heater box. I think there was one more of those by the heater core hoses. Then two on the inside on the bottom of the heater box. I think that is all of them, did mine last year.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM

I already have the two off by the heater hoses, but when I pull the core from inside the Jeep there is no play at all. I will check the ones inside of it tomorrow. I ran out of daylight at 6pm, fml dst...
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Omnipotent Octopus
I already have the two off by the heater hoses, but when I pull the core from inside the Jeep there is no play at all. I will check the ones inside of it tomorrow. I ran out of daylight at 6pm, fml dst...

bumping this for an update on how it went......... this is next in my T2D list since I'll have the interior gutted. Also i read people had to take the evaporator off to get to heater core is this true? I didnt want to take that off if at all possible.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes if you work on your XJ go to pacific coast manuals and buy the FSM in PDF format for $7.95 a must have.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmud
bumping this for an update on how it went......... this is next in my T2D list since I'll have the interior gutted. Also i read people had to take the evaporator off to get to heater core is this true? I didnt want to take that off if at all possible.
Somebody else on here said there were bolts holding it on the inside too, but there weren't. Only on the firewall side.

It wasn't bad, just time consuming. But I didn't have to replace anything though, I just pulled that whole thing out and pitched it because I dont need any part of the HVAC system anymore. The hardest part was getting the steering wheel bolted back on because I dropped it down for more room behind the dash to work. Also getting the dash back on and lined up right was a pain because I did it alone. It's a full days job for sure if you have to replace something back there.

Also, I dont know about the evaporator, I dont even remember seeing it.

Last edited by Omnipotent Octopus; 12-09-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by iluvmud
If the heater core is now leaking, the evaporator isn't far behind.
2 birds, 1 stone.