Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower/Fan only works sometimes (help a new user)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blower/Fan only works sometimes (help a new user)

Hi, I am new to this forum. I did a search for blower/fan problems, and I have not found something exactly like my problem. I know next to nothing about cars, but would rather fix problems myself if possible instead of spending the extra money to have someone else do it.

I have a 1998 Black Jeep Cherokee Limited and recently the fan/blower only works half the time. I can tell that cold and hot air come out still, but most of the time I can not turn the switch to make the speeds change. I don't really hear a fan/blower (not sure which term is correct) moving. Sometimes if I leave the heat on all of a sudden the fan will turn on and work fine.. If this happens then I can use the switch to change speeds and it always works. If I don't hear the fan speed up then only a little bit of heat or AC can be felt coming out of the vents in my car.

Since the fan/blower randomly turns on or off when my heat/AC is in the ON position, I am not sure what the problem is. It works completely fine sometimes, but then most of the time it doesn't.. when it doesn't I just feel a little bit of air flow coming out of the vents.

I thank you for your help in advance.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

i would check the fan speed switch I've had two of them go out.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

try your ignition switch too that's what mine was.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ig...herokee-xj.htm
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

If I leave the fan speed switch on say 3.. (and at the time the fan isn't working) sometimes after awhile then it would kick on and once it kicks on i can switch between speed 1 and 4 with the switch no problem. Would it still be the fan switch?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM

i think that's the way the first switch went. the switch i have now will only work on (4) and its hit or miss. it will turn on and off on its own. that's the first thing i would try, just from me experience with two of them going bad. other people might have a better way diagnosing the problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Sounds good. Do you know where I can get a replacement fan speed switch?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM

i got mine from a local auto parts store. but they had to order it. Any jeep dealer should have it. or junk yard. you might want to try the junkyard first just because your not 100% sure that's it. I'd hate to spent more then $10 and that not be the problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 PM

this can be melted in the back...... ive seen it before
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

Before buying any parts you might want to try some simple troubleshooting first, like ohm out the select switch to tell if it's properly working or not, if it is not ohming correctly then thats your problem, if it ohms good then I would check connector c201 in between hvac control panel and hvac unit, and if that ohms out good then I would try ohming out resistors in hvac unit. Also you might want to check and make sure blower motor is getting a good and steady 12-14 volts, if not something might be up with your relay, and you might also want to try just providing batter bower to the blower motor if you can access it to verify fan is operational. The diagram's you'd need for ohming can all be found in the haynes manual, if needed I can post a pic of it for you, and if you just want to start by ohming switch at control panel, you don't really need a diagram, just unplug connector and see if switch is opening and closing at the proper pins in connector.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0I6

sounds like its shorting to ground and sometimes the short stops enought to let power through
Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Year: 2001

How about starting simple and check for power and ground at the blower motor. Work your way back from there to find your problem. Like all electrical things, your blower can be bad and work intermittently... I've had plenty of blower motors not come on until you hit it a good once or twice... If you don't have power and ground then check your resistor and then the switch... As far as accessibility that would be the easiest path to follow... plug for blower and resistor are right there on the passenger side. I would lean toward blower motor but definitely see if you can diagnose the problem before you throw parts at it...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by sflxj
try your ignition switch too that's what mine was.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ig...herokee-xj.htm
Can anybody explain why an ignition switch would be related to this issue? Also, is the ignition switch the same as where the key is inserted? The reason I am asking this is because my key is broken off in my ignition, AND I have the exact same problem as the OP. I just changed the Blower Motor Resistor a couple hours ago and now all speeds work 'when the blower fan works'. If I can solve two things by replacing the ignition switch that would be awesome.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

trust me, its the wiring harness hooked onto the back of the heater control switch panel...and most likely its more than one, it was one mine.. just unhook them and see if theyre melted, if they are, either go buy another harness(i may be using the wrong term here) or just do what i did and strip the wires and sauder it straight to the copper prongs so it never does it again
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Year: 1998

Thanks for the reply!

Any tips on accessing that? Somebody on here mentioned that all you had to do was remove the radio, and with 'the right tools' you would be able to remove the controls. Not sure what these right tools are. I would think I'd have to remove the trim first correct? Are there screws that holds them in place? Or can I just use a flat head and pop it out?

Quick Reply: Blower/Fan only works sometimes (help a new user)