Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

best spark plugs

Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default best spark plugs

i read somewhere that the platinum and splitfire spark plugs suck in the 4.0 and was wondering if anybody has any input on that or not
just trying to find out what works the best and makes the most of a difference before i change my plugs
also what ones will give you better mpg gain because that is mostly what im looking to get out of it
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by chadrenner69
i read somewhere that the platinum and splitfire spark plugs suck in the 4.0 and was wondering if anybody has any input on that or not
just trying to find out what works the best and makes the most of a difference before i change my plugs
also what ones will give you better mpg gain because that is mostly what im looking to get out of it
Most people recommend champions (i believe)...just regular plain old plugs.

BEFORE i read any of that i had put in some bosch platinum +4's.

Theyve been in there since, and well i havnt had a problem with them, BUT i DOUBT theyre really doing anything special.

New plugs and a general ignition tune up should help regain MPG.

I personally would get the general recommended plugs for cheap, and spend the money you would save (from expensive plugs) on wires dist. cap and a rotor.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If I tell you anything else but Champion I'll start a riot.
I can tell you whats working very well in both of my jeeps but they are not Champions and I don't want to get dumped on for not following the party line. Apparently it's blasphemous to use and/or talk about anything else but Champion.
Have I said Champion enough times now to stay out of trouble?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I have the Bosch Platinums in mine,seems just fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM

what about this i just found it looking for plugs
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/TST16/10002/-1
would the copper cores be good plugs
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

I'm running the E3 spark plugs. It starts better, seems like i get better throttle response and i probably am getting better mpg but im not sure. maybe 1 mpg better, i could be wrong. i haven't checked mileage in awhile. They seem to work very well, i will buy them again. i had the bosch platinums and they werent as good IMO
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

yeah thats a good kit,its the same kit you can get at 4WDHardware.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Accel is a good brand!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM

sweet ill probobly get that then i was a little worried about the copper core plugs being quality or not
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 PM

I just got new champions for my new motor, but was wondering about the E3's. Saw them tested on Horsepower TV, got good reviews too.

Originally Posted by Metlic53
I'm running the E3 spark plugs. It starts better, seems like i get better throttle response and i probably am getting better mpg but im not sure. maybe 1 mpg better, i could be wrong. i haven't checked mileage in awhile. They seem to work very well, i will buy them again. i had the bosch platinums and they werent as good IMO
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by linuxrick
I just got new champions for my new motor, but was wondering about the E3's. Saw them tested on Horsepower TV, got good reviews too.

All i know is, i read all the reviews about them and did alot of research before i spent 8 bucks a plug. Put them in and it fired up quicker, idles smoother too. I like em!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Year: 1996

E3 for sure, powerblock tested them, and they give better horsepower, torch, and mpg. Hard to argue with plugs that pay for them self well you use them.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

I would recommend just about anything with copper, most cars these days come with iridium or platinum and talk about how hot they run, where most of the knowledgeable people are taking that stock expensive stuff out and actually running colder than stock copper plugs, they are cheap, copper plugs are way easy to gap, I think the iridium ones you can't even gap without breaking them, and in the end, what conducts better, well here is a list, and iridium and platinum don't fair so well.

http://www.eddy-current.com/condres.htm
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsandine
I would recommend just about anything with copper, most cars these days come with iridium or platinum and talk about how hot they run, where most of the knowledgeable people are taking that stock expensive stuff out and actually running colder than stock copper plugs, they are cheap, copper plugs are way easy to gap, I think the iridium ones you can't even gap without breaking them, and in the end, what conducts better, well here is a list, and iridium and platinum don't fair so well.

http://www.eddy-current.com/condres.htm

It's just not conductivity your looking for in a spark plug.
If that was the case by your chart Silver is the absolutely best choice.
But we all know that Silver would NEVER stand up to the punishment found in the modern combustion chamber.
As with EVERYTHING in life we are looking for the Best compromise.
Platinum and iridium have excellent mechanical properties that will withstand for a long time the heat and pressure of the combustion chamber AND give a pretty decent electrical conductivity.
I use Bosch Platinum in every engine I have from the lawn mower weed whacker to my Jeeps and my wifes Saturn to my dads 09 fusion.
And I have a pretty interesting story on why I have fallen in love with them. PM me and I'll tell it.

If you want to experiment with plugs go ahead. It's your dime.
You may find the hype of a certain brand to be true and you may not Your mileage may differ. Find what works for you.
Don't be afraid to ask for opinions. Only you can make the decision.

Just don't fall for the Chicken Little the sky will fall and Mankind will be wiped from the face of the earth if you don't follow my orders and use Brand XXX

Last edited by Jamie57; 01-13-2010 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XJFUME (02-03-2022)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

Yah, I realize there are differences, I just like the accessibility of being able to get whatever temp plugs you want for cheap, plus my car made more power on $2 copper plugs than stock platinums or very expensive iridium's, but then again my car is tuned for a colder plug, the copper can suck though as they have to be replaced pretty often, but I guess another plus for them is copper is not as strong as somee of the other types so its kind of a weak link in the chain so if you are way to lean or something bad is happenning in motor it can take out spark plug before killing a gasket or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best spark plugs