Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Defroster problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Defroster problem

Yes a problem,like it doesn't work,99 Cherokee with air.The dial selector seems to work ok on all settings but defrost.When you select defrost,hot air blows out real hard from the side widow vent but nothing from the defroster vents.In fact it is really loud blowing out the side vent.The AC compressor also cycles when the outside temp is very cold. My other 99 Cherokee's AC does not cycle when the outside temp is below about 35 degrees.Just a comparison between my two Jeeps.
Obiviously something is wrong,maybe a vent flap broken? Asking for opinions before I tear into this,thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Funny, today I popped on here because I have the same problem and before I started to look at it I figured I'd cheat and see if anyone experienced this. I am thinking it's related to some vacuum issue? Not too long ago some jackass broke into my ride and just tore out anything he could. There were some wires that just got destroyed from the Xm radio that were tucked up under the dash so thats where I am headed for. Maybe I will be lucky and find my prob in that area? Good luck with yours, later. Mike
Old 12-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Year: 1997

I have the same problem. Go to NAXJA.org & search, there is a thread for this exact problem with the cause & a temp fix. Not sure of a permanent fix but I'm going to try to figure something out. I'll post if I come up with something.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Default 99 xj no windshield de-froster.

I have the same (exact) problem. 99xj fan selector works fine except no windshield defrost. I have vacuum under the hood at the check valve. (on my 95, I would only get windshield defrost - until I found and fixed a vacuum leak).

Any ideas? Did anyone find the problem?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1997

i found the one on NAXJA, apparently there is a rod that comes out, and you have to stick it back in. The rod is behind where the radio is. This was on a 98 or 99 xj, cant remember which. And they said to leave the fan speed to "1" or "2" position, as the higher speed spits out the rod....

that is what i got from it. Also there is a video that a guy made, but it doesnt really show anything then it goes really dark.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Default Update - FIxed

The problem turned out to be the actuator(?) in back of the radio just as described in the Naxja thread. Plastic rod 'pops' out when you select the windshield de-frost button. I was able to push it back in, although it keeps popping out at high fan speed (3 or 4). Once I manually pushed the vent in position, though, the air comes out of the top windshiled de-frost position.
I have a hunch I'll have to fix it again though in time.

(thanks for pointing me to that naxja link, saved me a bunch of time!)