Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dashboard lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default dashboard lights

tried searching for this, couldn't find it... hope someone can help me out.

when i turn my lights on at night (exterior), my dashboard backlighting doesn't come on. my radio still works but doesn't dim the lights and the odometer still is lit up as bright as it does during the day w/o my exterior lights on. turning the light **** does nothing, but will still turn on the cab lights if flipped all the way to the left (as it should).

what do you think? am i probably looking at a fuse here? maybe a loose wire behind the light switch ****?

any input would be great. thx.

jeep: 1999 xj, 4x4, 4.0L
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

my waggie did the same thing turned out to be the headlight switch
the resistor that controled the dash lights failed slowly then one morning on my way to work (4:30) my headlights failed
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 289 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

turn on your headlights..... now get out and check to see if your tail lights are on... then check if your brake lights work... I don't recall what years (if not all) but when your tail-lights go out, your cluster lights go out... basically to tell you "hey somethings not working"
then check your fuses
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM

so there was a blown fuse. but, when i put the new one in, i blew that one too when i turned the dimmer up too much. also, even with the good fuse in it didn't fix the problem, the backlights didn't come on.

do i need i new switch maybe? what else could the issue be? all my other lights work fine (headlights, tail lights, turn signals, interior, etc...)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM

replaced the headlight switch. did the same thing. so that is not the problem.

my jeep has been shocking me as i get out of it, could that mean a wire is being grounded somewhere, thus causing the blown fuses?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l I6

Possibly try going up 5 amps on your fuse maybe? As for the shocking no clue.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mycherokee
Possibly try going up 5 amps on your fuse maybe? As for the shocking no clue.
dont mean to shoot you down, but dont ever go up in fuse size. the truck's electrical circuits were designed for a particular load, and upping the current allowance only fries components, and it will wreck your wiring over time. doing electrical renovations in schools, i have seen what overloaded wiring looks like, and its quite nasty.

first thing to check is that your license plate light isnt shorting out. it happened to me, and has happened to a few others on the forum. a good tip i got to figure out my problem was to pull out all the bulbs, put in a new fuse, and turn it on. if the fuse doesnt pop, then its a problem with a lamp. start putting them back in 1 by one, and see if the fuse pops. that should narrow it down.

yes i know, it is time consuming, but it worked for me
Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM

If your tail lights come on it can't be the plate light. Same fuse. Check your cig. lighter that nothing has fallen into the hole or the cig. lighter is not stuck pushed in.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l

Originally Posted by 84wagoneer
dont mean to shoot you down, but dont ever go up in fuse size. the truck's electrical circuits were designed for a particular load, and upping the current allowance only fries components, and it will wreck your wiring over time. doing electrical renovations in schools, i have seen what overloaded wiring looks like, and its quite nasty.

first thing to check is that your license plate light isnt shorting out. it happened to me, and has happened to a few others on the forum. a good tip i got to figure out my problem was to pull out all the bulbs, put in a new fuse, and turn it on. if the fuse doesnt pop, then its a problem with a lamp. start putting them back in 1 by one, and see if the fuse pops. that should narrow it down.

yes i know, it is time consuming, but it worked for me

Good idea with putting the bulbs in one at a time! You can also check your trailer light wiring if you have it.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM

I would say it is the headlight switch most likely.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Skater28
If your tail lights come on it can't be the plate light. Same fuse. Check your cig. lighter that nothing has fallen into the hole or the cig. lighter is not stuck pushed in.
i did just have an ipod dock get stuck in my power pluggin and break, maybe there are pieces still in there? i'll check tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM

If the trailer light plug was shorted tail iights also wouldn't work. Same fuse
Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

mine is doing the same thing right now. Tackling that issue tomorrow and Ill let you know what works. My dash lights/gauge cluster is not lighting up, headlights on, tail lights not working, but 1 brake light works.

Gonna get a new fuse and check all wiring. Also check your headlight switch a buddy of mine had a problem with the part that the "pin" connects with.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 AM

it's not the headlight switch, i went and bought a new one and it also burned the fuse out.

nothin in the cig lighter. such a simple thing, yet such a headache. let me know what you find JTotheFox
Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The circuit your dash lights are on is also the circuit your running lights, tail lights and license light are on. I had the same problem. After spending 3-4 hours chasing wires I got my wits about me and remembered KISS (keep it simple stupid), I removed all the bulbs in the circuit and replaced the fuse, it did'nt blow. One by one I replaced the bulbs until it blew, turned out to be the license light bulb, filament looked good not darkened, half a day wasted by a friggen 75 cent bulb.

Quick Reply: dashboard lights