Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixing power locks and windows :(...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI 242ci
Default Fixing power locks and windows :(...

I have a sport xj 99 and it has the power locks and windows.. but the locks controllers dont work at all.. when i press the lock/unlock button on the drivers side you can hear a click but locks wont lock or unlock...
and power windows only work on the drivers side.. but all other switches on the other doors dont work

does any one has ever had the same problem?? how can i fix this?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by amunoz
I have a sport xj 99 and it has the power locks and windows.. but the locks controllers dont work at all.. when i press the lock/unlock button on the drivers side you can hear a click but locks wont lock or unlock...
and power windows only work on the drivers side.. but all other switches on the other doors dont work

does any one has ever had the same problem?? how can i fix this?

I was having the same problem, and just got it fixed. A buddy of mine is really good with the electrical stuff. Went out and got a manual, and he checked the wiring diagram, and found that the power for the switches is actually located in the passanger side door switch. He checked the resistance in the switches, and sure enough, found that the passanger side front switch was bad. I replaced it, and am now good to go!

The dealer wants $100 bucks for a new one. I went to a local junkyard and got one out of a 99. I was a little worried at first that this one may be bad as well, but they warrenty there parts, that i can return within 30 days if it is bad or goes bad.

The switch itself is pretty easy to remove too.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI 242ci

nice.. thanks buddy im going to check on it with my multimiter... they told me that it could be that i could just clean the wiring and it could work but imma check everything today .. ..
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by amunoz
nice.. thanks buddy im going to check on it with my multimiter... they told me that it could be that i could just clean the wiring and it could work but imma check everything today .. ..
Don't know about cleaning wiring but.........

We had one that would blow the fuses whenever you tried to use the door locks. We took all the door panels off and cleaned off all the old grease/dirt etc with brake cleaner. We cleaned everything real well. Around the solenoids all the linkage and then applied some fresh white lithium base grease from a spray can. Replaced the fuse and they all work again.

We did this about a month ago and they're still working fine. Before cleaning the darned things were so stiff and it took so much power, it would pop that fuse every time.

We found the tip on here and gave it a try. Basically a free fix.

If you try it, don't let the brake cleaner sit on your paint. It'll eventually eat it.

Last edited by danimal; 11-14-2009 at 05:44 PM.