Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

spitting and sputtering

Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default spitting and sputtering

Do you think not gapping your spark plugs right would cause the engine to spit and sputter? What about the fuel filter? What else would cuase that when you try to floor it under a load?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

tps
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

wow. thats all the responses I get. no offence to the guy who actually responded.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

It's the weekend...everyone is out wheeling =p Plus, sounds like he nailed it, so no need for anyone else to post after you got your answer, right? Not trying to come down on you, just pointing out some possible reasons for lack of response.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

maybe o2 sensor? are you throwing a check engine light?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 4wd

my jeep does this too. dunno why. one thing that seemed to alleviate it was unplugged the o2 sensor, and then running it a little while, and plugging it back in, i dunno why but it ran good for a few days after i did that. i dunno what the implications of running it with the o2 plugged in on this old RENIX rig i have, because when i DID run it without the o2 plugged it i noticed no wierdness in preformance due to the sensor being unplugged. almost like the o2 sensor is there just for show in this old car.

also another problem that could go hand and hand with this that i have is that the jeep runs rich. i turn it on sometimes and its revving itself at 2000 rpms. it will drive itself in drive at like 10 mph, and when you do cruise it wont deccelerate hardly. it burns alot of gas too when this happens. AND another wierd thing is when you put it in park of N it revvs itself again, keeping a high idle of like 2000.

someone told me its my fuel pump, but i doubt that. its been doing this for months, and no check engine lights, or fuel pump stop working or anything. someone said maybe the fuel filter, but thats brand new.

see the sputtering i can deal with for a little while, but the high idle/driving itself, thing, is getting annoying. sometimes if i turn the ignition on and off a few times it wont start like that, but sometimes it will start like that three times in a row. its not overheating at all, its just running itself ragged for somereason.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

I just went and looked at a 1990 XJ the other day. Talk about high idle, it sat around 4k rpms once it got warmed up. I had to use both feet on the brake to keep it from leaping when I put it in drive. I don't see a fuel pump causing that.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

sounds like a fuel filter.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Was just having a similar problem, I had rules out plug and wires because they were only a few weeks old, but when checking the voltage through the wires we found one was damaged internally and when replaced my hard hesitating under load disappeared.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

There are a lot of possible causes,plug wires,plugs them selves the IPS Motor,bad cap&rotor,plugged cat,bad map sensor,bad TPS.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

bump

any results? anymore ideas im having same issue
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I'm having similar issues, Going to replace the Cap, Rotor, Plugs, cables Fuel Filter, Air Filter and check the codes it's throwing for the check engine light on sunday. I'm thinking it's got to be the fact that I haven't done a tune up in about 60,000 even though it has the double platinum plugs, it's about time, and I don't know if the fuel filter has ever been replaced in it's 170k miles so I'm doing that too. also could be my Tps, really dreading having to change that though.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM

Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by BestDell18
Do you think not gapping your spark plugs right would cause the engine to spit and sputter?
In direct answer to your original question, Yes it is possible for incorrect gap to cause spitting and sputtering. Once I replaced my plugs and dropped one and installed it without checking the plug gap. The gap was very tight and when I started the jeep up it ran fine. Soon after I began to experience hesitation and sputtering on hard acceleration that got worse as time went on. You see even though the plug worked fine for a bit it fouled prematurely and caused a misfire under load.

With computer controlled engines there are many factors that can cause there symptoms. With that said eliminate any doubts you may have and then look to fuel management/delivery and ignition.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4 liter
Default Check for vacuum leaks and fuel pressure.

After you check the plug and regap them ,if your symptoms do not go away check for vacuum leaks . You did not mention when the spitting and sputtering is occurring ,at idle ,at cruise , acceleration, or all the time. You can also use the forum search feature to get more answers than you know what to do with. Good Luck
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jeeps42
my jeep does this too. dunno why. one thing that seemed to alleviate it was unplugged the o2 sensor, and then running it a little while, and plugging it back in, i dunno why but it ran good for a few days after i did that. i dunno what the implications of running it with the o2 plugged in on this old RENIX rig i have, because when i DID run it without the o2 plugged it i noticed no wierdness in preformance due to the sensor being unplugged. almost like the o2 sensor is there just for show in this old car.

also another problem that could go hand and hand with this that i have is that the jeep runs rich. i turn it on sometimes and its revving itself at 2000 rpms. it will drive itself in drive at like 10 mph, and when you do cruise it wont deccelerate hardly. it burns alot of gas too when this happens. AND another wierd thing is when you put it in park of N it revvs itself again, keeping a high idle of like 2000.

someone told me its my fuel pump, but i doubt that. its been doing this for months, and no check engine lights, or fuel pump stop working or anything. someone said maybe the fuel filter, but thats brand new.

see the sputtering i can deal with for a little while, but the high idle/driving itself, thing, is getting annoying. sometimes if i turn the ignition on and off a few times it wont start like that, but sometimes it will start like that three times in a row. its not overheating at all, its just running itself ragged for somereason.
You have a bad TPS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spitting and sputtering