Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing Valve Cover Gasket ('92 laredo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing Valve Cover Gasket ('92 laredo)

Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right spot to put this. It looks for sure like I need to replace the valve cover gasket, but I've never done it before. It's in an easy location to work with (right on top with a few hoses over it).

Can any one here give me a step by step on how to do this so I don't have to go to an over priced mechanic for such a small job? Or know of a video online somewhere showing how it's done for a '92 cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0 straight 6 cylinder.

Let me know if you need a photo, I can get that for you to show you the gunky mess all over it.

Thank you soo much for any help!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 six shooter

I just recently did mine. It's very easy. To sum it up, makes sure you have a scraper of some sort to clean the old gasket material after both metal surfaces.
Buy a one piece gasket (FelPro).
Have a torque wrench to put the bolts back to the right torque when you get it back together.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I can not tell you how helpful having the chilton (or Haynes) manual is for this kind of stuff. Gives you all your tourque specs and what the bolt tourque patterns are. Bare minimum, print up a page off the net and have it in the garage with you so you don't forget. I also just did this replacement a few weeks back on my 4.0L. Takes about an hour to get the gasket off and clean the valve cover up. Good time to check to see if your breathers (the venting hoses on front and back) are in good shape, or if maybe you need to replace some grommets.
Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

its a pretty basic install just remove all hoses and cables in the way then clean upo the outside of teh area so you dont get dirt and crap into your valves then remove the cover scrape and clean off all old gasket on head and cover make sure not to get any in the valves then clean out your breather elbow with carb cleaner or some type of solvent then reinstall and torque to correct specification not sure on what it is if you cant find it i will look it up in my repair manual then after that reconnect all hoses and cables
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Kristel
Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right spot to put this. It looks for sure like I need to replace the valve cover gasket, but I've never done it before. It's in an easy location to work with (right on top with a few hoses over it).

Can any one here give me a step by step on how to do this so I don't have to go to an over priced mechanic for such a small job? Or know of a video online somewhere showing how it's done for a '92 cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0 straight 6 cylinder.

Let me know if you need a photo, I can get that for you to show you the gunky mess all over it.

Thank you soo much for any help!
You have a Private Message.