Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 engine rebuild

Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.0 engine rebuild

Have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee limited. It is close to 300k and still running, with the exception of the oil pump going out. I have decided to competent rebuild the engine because I will have this jeep forever. Any brands to stay away from? Any brands or parts that are a must? Any tips? Any great place to get a whole kit? Thanks guys!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

300K!? Thats awesome! Mine didnt make it past 205K (probably because the owner before me didnt take proper care of it and a oil pressure problem)...
I am currently rebuilding mine right now and ordered a premium rebuild kit from titianengines.com for a little under $400 with shipping.
The hardest part for me was pulling the motor out. There are two inverted torx bolts on the top of the transmission where it meets the motor and I could not get those suckers off! I ended up just pulling the whole powertrain out (tranny and t-case). Once I got that stuff out I put the tranny and t-case on a stand and put the motor on its stand. Doing the tear down process is easy just make sure your ogrinize all your stuff.
I have not made it to the "put everything back together stage" cause my motor is still in the machiene shop but if I run into anything interesting I will let ya know!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Lol. Yeah it was owned by a real estate broker here in TN. She needed fourwheel drive and was driving it to properties everyday since it was bought new. I am checking out Titan engines. Thanks it's a great site. I believe I am going to with a master kit
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Chapillac
Lol. Yeah it was owned by a real estate broker here in TN. She needed fourwheel drive and was driving it to properties everyday since it was bought new. I am checking out Titan engines. Thanks it's a great site. I believe I am going to with a master kit
Yeah man they are pretty cool. I ordered the wrong size pistons, called em up and exchanged them with no hassels!
I dont know if you have ever done a rebuild before but, if you have not dont make the mistake I did and order your kit before taking the block to the machiene shop... (I bought standerd pistons when the cyclinder walls were worn out so bad and needed to be bored over .040)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I had my machine shop order my kit for me so I was sure to get the right size pistons and bearings. The assembly process isn't that hard but if the shop is reasonable with cost to do the assembly work for you too it might be worth it. My kit cam from Eagle Performance and included Seal Power pistons and bearing, Fel Pro gaskets, Hastings rings, and Melling cam, timing set and oil pump... plus a whole bunch of other stuff. I had the head rebuilt by the shop and had them also press in the cam bearing after the machine work was done, everything else I assembled myself.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherockee
I had my machine shop order my kit for me so I was sure to get the right size pistons and bearings. The assembly process isn't that hard but if the shop is reasonable with cost to do the assembly work for you too it might be worth it. My kit cam from Eagle Performance and included Seal Power pistons and bearing, Fel Pro gaskets, Hastings rings, and Melling cam, timing set and oil pump... plus a whole bunch of other stuff. I had the head rebuilt by the shop and had them also press in the cam bearing after the machine work was done, everything else I assembled myself.
How did your rebuild process go?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4L

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
There are two inverted torx bolts on the top of the transmission where it meets the motor and I could not get those suckers off!
I'm trying to get those friggin' two bolts out. Do you know if they are size E12? E11 is not a popular size, and is not in most kits. E12 feels a little loose. Of course it could be the way my body is contorted in order to reach the bolt head.

Thanks,
-jmjatlanta
Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Slowly, lol! It took me about a week of 'off and on' tinkering with it. Then many more weeks before I got it installed, then needed to replace the alternator and rig up some exhaust. Spent some time replacing seals in the tranny... then broke the shift rod and had to take the tranny apart to fix that. I had some pretty stupid set backs along the way... one time I was using a special tool I made to align the oil pump with the distributor and dropped the tool into the oil pan. Had to drain the oil and take the pan off to get it out. Lots of little crap like that along the way.

But it's in and she runs! I'm proud of myself for taking on such a job, but for a while I'll be constantly fearful that its going to last. Oil pressure jumps around sometimes but I think it's because of the old sensor I'm using. Dealership here wanted over $100 for a new one so I decided to live with what I have.

Unfortunately I may need to sell the whole Jeep now as I just got a call from my ex and she wants to double the child support. Never ends.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jmjatlanta
I'm trying to get those friggin' two bolts out. Do you know if they are size E12? E11 is not a popular size, and is not in most kits. E12 feels a little loose. Of course it could be the way my body is contorted in order to reach the bolt head.

Thanks,
-jmjatlanta
I think it was a 10 or 11... I picked a set of the sockets at Sears it came with I think E8-E12. But if your trying to just pull the motor and not the whole drivetrain you need to pick up the wrench version not the sockets they make it way easier!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Slowly, lol! It took me about a week of 'off and on' tinkering with it. Then many more weeks before I got it installed, then needed to replace the alternator and rig up some exhaust. Spent some time replacing seals in the tranny... then broke the shift rod and had to take the tranny apart to fix that. I had some pretty stupid set backs along the way... one time I was using a special tool I made to align the oil pump with the distributor and dropped the tool into the oil pan. Had to drain the oil and take the pan off to get it out. Lots of little crap like that along the way.

But it's in and she runs! I'm proud of myself for taking on such a job, but for a while I'll be constantly fearful that its going to last. Oil pressure jumps around sometimes but I think it's because of the old sensor I'm using. Dealership here wanted over $100 for a new one so I decided to live with what I have.

Unfortunately I may need to sell the whole Jeep now as I just got a call from my ex and she wants to double the child support. Never ends.
Hahahaha! No way dude! I did the same thing! I droped a 3/8 extension into a 97 saturn's oil pan while trying to work on the timing chain. I plan on taking my sweet ***** time when put it all back together so I know everything is done right. Sorry to hear about the child support thing... Have you tried going to court and trying to meet in the middle some where?