Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Adjust gear shift?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Adjust gear shift?

When i cleaned the throttle body and replaced the sensors i think i moved this cable. Now the tranny changes nice and the idle is fine, but it seems like the tranny locks? to fast. Normaly when driving in low speed and small road if i give gas the rpm increase before the speed increase, its not in lock? but now it locks to soon (in low rpm). Is this cable controlling that?
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 4.0 HO

Sounds like ur trannys slipping
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by Shizzels
Sounds like ur trannys slipping
Its not slipping, but i need it to unlock on lower torque. When driving on flat road in low speed i need to give much gas to get higher speed and then it kickdown insted, if i give a litle gas the rpm isnt moving, or its moving very slow since there isnt much torque on low rpm. And it happend when i released that cable from the throttle. I have tried to adjust it a litle and feel diference, but is there som guide on how to adjust it to the perfect place?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by pwb
Its not slipping, but i need it to unlock on lower torque. When driving on flat road in low speed i need to give much gas to get higher speed and then it kickdown insted, if i give a litle gas the rpm isnt moving, or its moving very slow since there isnt much torque on low rpm. And it happend when i released that cable from the throttle. I have tried to adjust it a litle and feel diference, but is there som guide on how to adjust it to the perfect place?
Ooo I gotcha well On the intake where it has the mount where it has 3 cables the one with the button is the one for the trans now u should be able to hit that button and u wana get it to the point where if feels tight if that dosent work check your air idle sensor on ur throttle body that's mine had a late reaction like that.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Sorry for the long post, I hope it makes sense.
Its hard to tell what problem you have, you used the term "lock-up" that term is normally used for the torque convertor which only locks up in O/D, or 3rd if O/D is cancelled with O/D button. T/C lock up is mainly influenced by the TP sensor. If TP is out of adjustment "low" it will lock the T/C sooner/lower MPH, if its out of adjustment "high" it will lock the covertor up late/higher MPH. If the upshifts (1st-3rd) are too soon or happen too quickly then the T/V cable may need to be tightened.

There is a white clip on the T/V cable housing where it mounts to the cable bracket, that clip needs to be pried up or off, this allows the cable housing to slide in/out to adjust the slack of the cable. If there is not a white clip then you have a black plastic button that is almost square shaped that needs to be pushed in to adjust the cable.

T/V cable adjustment is pretty critical for proper trans pressures and if the cable is loose it could allow the clutches to slip. What you want is to have the T/V cable a little on the tight side. The purpose of the T/V cable is not to set shift points but this side effect is the easiest to use for proper setup. Its is better to be a little tight allowing the trans to "hold" gears a little longer during acceleration.

To adjust T/V cable, release lock clip or push button, then:

Move the cable housing back (away from throttle body) will increase T/V pressure or raise shift points, side affects can also create sensitive downshifts and harsh engagements. Too tight can also cause upshifts to occur to high in RPM range, or the feeling that its stuck in a lower gear and will not upshift. Thats when you know you went too far.

Move the cable forward (toward throttle body) will lower T/V pressure or lower shift points, side affects can be early/quick upshifts, or excessive throttle to make downshifts, slip/shuttle shifts, and slipping trans on accel. If its too loose it will seem like the transmission is shifting into higher gears too soon while you are accelerating, this is when you know its too loose.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
pwb

ok, i have replaced the TPS, maybe i should put back the old one to see it thats help. I replaced IAC since it run high on idle, i replaced TPS and MAF in the same time and the idle is now fine. But maybe the new TPS is bad? is it possible to measure the TPS with a ohm meter?
I found this on youtube to adjust the TV Cable, is this ok?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 AM

If you have the push button type it it will ratchet out like the video states. You can not make this style tighter because it will simply ratchet the setting back to spec at the next WOT event.

If you have the white plastic clip style cable you can set it loose or tight depending on where you set it
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7L

I have a 99 GC Laredo and I'm having similar problems with mine except its a 4.7L V8 and i was wondering how to adjust the T/V cable on a 4.7L.....thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigdhall
I have a 99 GC Laredo and I'm having similar problems with mine except its a 4.7L V8 and i was wondering how to adjust the T/V cable on a 4.7L.....thanks
You should have the 45RFE, there is not a T/V cable, all shifts are controlled electronically.