Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

New to old jeeps...Advice on a couple things?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L l6
Default New to old jeeps...Advice on a couple things?

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and have only owned one other jeep besides my 88 Cherokee Chief. I'm in Tacoma, Washington and I have a couple things that concern me. 1) I have quite a bit of oil in my air filter and I was wondering where the hoses CCV or PCV are so I can clean them. I have no idea what I'm looking at. 2) My steering wheel has a bit of play and a slight pull to the left, anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

I appreciate all the help. When explaining the air filter problem breaking it down barney style would be great. I'm new to 4.0l and straight 6.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I have a little trick i learned from and old guy who was a head mechanic at a Jeep dealership back in the 80's. Pull your valve cover and look up inside at either end where your breather hoses attach. you will a couple of ducts that look like the ones in the picture. When they are OEM, they are the longer version like the one on the left. There are a couple of tiny screws that attach them to the valve cover. Remove them and cut 1/3-3/4 of an inch off the rnds of both of them. What happened was when this PVC system was designed, they made them too long and they actually pick too much oil with the oil vaper and it gets sucked right out the hose to your intake air box and soaks your air filter. When you remove these little ducts to cut them down you will see a gasket that will disentigrate as you remove them. This gasket is not needed so don't worry about replacing it before you put the little ducts back in. If your 4.0 has high miles on it, it's going to puke oil out through that hose that goes to your intake no matter what but cutting those breather hose ducts down significantly cuts down on the amount. Another thing you can do is just remove that front hose from your intake and the valve cover and just attach a small air filter right there to the breather fitting on the front of the valve cover. That will make a bit of a mess over time but it will keep the oil out of your air intake. Just a couple of ideas that have worked for me.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

[QUOTE My steering wheel has a bit of play and a slight pull to the left, anyone have any idea what could be causing it?
[/QUOTE]

Unless your pull to the left is caused by a low tire,get an alignment.

The alignment shop should tell you if you have any loose /bad parts.

You can get someone to move steering wheel back and forth slightly, while you look underneath and watch for something that is loose
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Another thing you can do is just remove that front hose from your intake and the valve cover and just attach a small air filter right there to the breather fitting on the front of the valve cover. That will make a bit of a mess over time but it will keep the oil out of your air intake. Just a couple of ideas that have worked for me.[/QUOTE]

What about the hole on the back of the air box? The tubing from the front breather tube to the air box. If I replace that with just a simple filter and trash the tubing should I seal the hole with a rubber stopper or am I good to just leave it be?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Originally Posted by 88BlueChief
Another thing you can do is just remove that front hose from your intake and the valve cover and just attach a small air filter right there to the breather fitting on the front of the valve cover. That will make a bit of a mess over time but it will keep the oil out of your air intake. Just a couple of ideas that have worked for me.
What about the hole on the back of the air box? The tubing from the front breather tube to the air box. If I replace that with just a simple filter and trash the tubing should I seal the hole with a rubber stopper or am I good to just leave it be?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ

What about the hole on the back of the air box? The tubing from the front breather tube to the air box. If I replace that with just a simple filter and trash the tubing should I seal the hole with a rubber stopper or am I good to just leave it be?
[/QUOTE]

Plug the hole in the air box. Its on the outside of the filter so I dont think th Jeep would run any different but it should only be sucking air in through the main intake hole.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Excellent I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:33 PM

Engine: 4.0

Not to hijack your thread but make sure you also check out Cruisers tips, they are a life saver for old Renix engines, he saved my Jeep and my wallet.

My Jeep runs a so much better now, it is hard to believe, I now have faith in it again.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/
Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 AM

No worries jeepcrazy. I appreciate it. Any help is good. Like I said I'm new to the older jeep community.