Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Locker Thread/Question

Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Another Locker Thread/Question

Alright.. 1999 sport with Dana 30 27 spline. Dana 44 rear.

I know I want to lock one of the axles but not quite sure which one I would benefit more from. There is a slight problem though. I DD my jeep in Minnesota so that basically means me driving on snowy streets for 7 months of the year. This sort of scares me.

Would this mean I would be better off locking my dana 30 instead of the 44 since it would only engage in 4wd? I've read a few different threads saying it's better to lock the rear first for more capability but I'm not quite sure I fully believe this so I guess I'd rather just get some more opinions on the matter.

TL;DR.. Would you lock the front or rear axle if you had to DD a Jeep in MN?

Also, I'm gonna be going either Spartan/Aussie since they're cheaper. Don't really care about the clicking sound.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

If I knew I was going to be on snowy roads a lot, and this was my daily driver, I think I would spring for a selectable. Either air locker or the e-locker. Not that a sensible driver couldn't deal with autolockers in the snow, but I think it would just be better for a DD vehicle. Then you could do both axles and have it all!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Lyanheart
If I knew I was going to be on snowy roads a lot, and this was my daily driver, I think I would spring for a selectable. Either air locker or the e-locker. Not that a sensible driver couldn't deal with autolockers in the snow, but I think it would just be better for a DD vehicle. Then you could do both axles and have it all!
I so wish I could go with selectable but me being a semi-broke college student I just can't afford it at this point in my life. I just want the traction for cheap!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

To me, having an auto-locker in the front is as close to having a selectable as you can get without actually buying a selectable.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Front locker it is!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Despite trying to be easy and driving with care, I find the combination of a front autolocker and MT type tires to be very grabby in the winter when in 4WD.

I don't like it. It feels like work.

I find it hunts and pulls when in 4WD so I tend to drive with just RWD as much as I can.

If you can not budget a selectable locker and the gear set up cost on top of that, you could run an autolocker in the front for wheelin' season then swap the spider gears back in for the winter months. It only takes a few hours to install the locker, and the second time I installed one with a buddy it was a very efficient job.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 AM

I run a Detroit in my rear 44 and would not suggest it for a DD. It has considerable backlash, locks up when accelerating in a corner, and is not easy to drive on slick roads. I've put it in a ditch a few times after hitting an ice patch cuisine down the highway. Mine is a designated wheeler though, so the Detroit is awesome. I hear great things about the spartan locker and would throw one in the front if you really want something locked.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

A detriot truetrac limited slip might be something you want to check out. I don't have one but ive been leaning towards putting that in my 8.25 when I do gears. More pricey for sure, $500 plus the cost/time to do a gear install, but much better for a DD like mine is. Plus it's gear driven, which IMO is better than clutches
Old 04-20-2014, 02:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by JeepMN
Alright.. 1999 sport with Dana 30 27 spline. Dana 44 rear.

I know I want to lock one of the axles but not quite sure which one I would benefit more from. There is a slight problem though. I DD my jeep in Minnesota so that basically means me driving on snowy streets for 7 months of the year. This sort of scares me.

Would this mean I would be better off locking my dana 30 instead of the 44 since it would only engage in 4wd? I've read a few different threads saying it's better to lock the rear first for more capability but I'm not quite sure I fully believe this so I guess I'd rather just get some more opinions on the matter.

TL;DR.. Would you lock the front or rear axle if you had to DD a Jeep in MN?

Also, I'm gonna be going either Spartan/Aussie since they're cheaper. Don't really care about the clicking sound.
Are you sure you have a 44? Couldn't find anything other than you have a 4.5" lift. Judy checking so you don't buy the wrong locker and realize you can't use it lol seen that happen with a few people buying lockers for their 8.25 when in reality they had a 35 lol
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Jeep48
I run a Detroit in my rear 44 and would not suggest it for a DD. It has considerable backlash, locks up when accelerating in a corner, and is not easy to drive on slick roads. I've put it in a ditch a few times after hitting an ice patch cuisine down the highway.

that's how an auto locker works. one google search and you'd find that's what it does the Detroit is great for a street driver, but clearly will lose traction in a really slippery situation such as going around an icy or even rainy turn (but only if you're laying into that gas pedal!). be prepared for this when considering any locker that isn't selectable. I'd chalk this up to user error. do sufficient research. in dry conditions with an auto transmission the Detroit is unnoticeable, besides the backlash when you let off the gas
Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by rugsucka
Despite trying to be easy and driving with care, I find the combination of a front autolocker and MT type tires to be very grabby in the winter when in 4WD.

I don't like it. It feels like work.

I find it hunts and pulls when in 4WD so I tend to drive with just RWD as much as I can.

If you can not budget a selectable locker and the gear set up cost on top of that, you could run an autolocker in the front for wheelin' season then swap the spider gears back in for the winter months. It only takes a few hours to install the locker, and the second time I installed one with a buddy it was a very efficient job.
I was thinking of doing this actually. Little extra work but I think it might work well for my situation.

Last edited by JeepMN; 04-20-2014 at 10:43 AM.